Bone Repair and Bio-Oss®.
During an operative procedure on the jaw, for example when dental implants are to be fitted, it is frequently necessary to regenerate bone or tissue that is lacking. To accomplish this, materials that support and assist regeneration are required.
Bio-Oss® offers your dentist a bone substitute with which one can achieve a natural bone regeneration. Bio-Gide® is a collagen membrane and functions as a natural protective barrier to help ensure undisturbed bone regeneration.
This defect arose through bacteria coating the tooth (plaque). The plaque has destroyed the substance that holds the tooth in place; the supportive tissue of the tooth has been broken down, the tissue which surrounds the root and the surrounding bone has been destroyed.
Removal of a dentoalveolar abscess.
This defect arose through an inflammation around the root apex (artery, vein or nerve). This inflammation is responsible for the destruction of the bone.
A tooth had to be removed. Massive damage to the jawbone is visible.
An implant will be inserted to replace the missing tooth. However, it is often the case that the amount of bone available is not adequate for implant insertion. Implant threads may lie exposed, the alveolar process may be too narrow, or the alveolar process may not be high enough.
Bio-Oss® particles are placed into the bone defect.
In order to achieve an undisturbed bony healing, the Bio-Oss® particles are covered with a membrane (Bio-Gide®). In some cases the membrane has to be fixed additionally with mini pins (e.g. Resor-Pin®).
How do Bio-Oss® and Bio-Gide® work?
Bio-Oss® can be inserted into the defect either in the form of bone granules (grains) or as a block. The defect is then covered with a Bio-Gide® membrane (light blue). The membrane serves as a protective barrier and prevents connective tissue from growing into the area.
The natural structure of Bio-Oss® enables new blood vessels to quickly grow into the area. Bone cells subsequently become attached to the Bio-Oss® particles (violet).
After about six months, the Bio-Oss® particles have become integrated into the new bone structure that has grown into the area. Bio-Oss® then becomes included in the normal bone turnover that the body regularly undergoes, and it slowly becomes degraded (blue cells). During a period of six to nine months, the Bio-Gide® membrane is gradually resorbed.
Can I trust Bio-Oss®?
- Bio-Oss® is a highly-purified, sterile product, which is composed of the mineral portion of bone.
- Bio-Oss® meets the mandatory safety standards and requirements as specified by the European and American medical product legislation.
- Bio-Oss® and its production method have been subjected to the strictest safety tests.
- During manufacturing, Bio-Oss® is subjected to a Quality Assurance System that is based on international guidelines (ISO 9001/EN 46001), and which is checked once each year by independent experts and international authorities.
- Heat treatment at higher than 300°C for more than 15 hours,
- Intense chemical treatment; e.g. Bio-Oss® is placed in a strong alkaline solution (pH > 13) for more than 4 hours,
After the operation.
Some tips to consider . . .
- For 1-2 days, avoid physical exertion and speak less.
- Clean your teeth as usual, however, be careful around the wound area.
- Apply cool compresses for 2-3 days, and change them frequently (reduces pain and swelling).
- Avoid extreme warmth/sun for 2-3 days.
- Do not lie flat; keep your head elevated at night for 2-3 days.
- Do not drink or smoke for 2-3 days.
- For 3-4 days, your food should consist of fluids and soft solids (not too hot). Starting on the second day, rinse your mouth after eating.
- Take your prescribed medication (painkillers, antibiotics) strictly according to the instructions from your dentist.
Is is possible that for a few days you will have:
- Pain at the wound site, swelling of the lips and/or cheeks, a limitation in how far you can open your mouth, difficulty in swallowing,
- increased body temperature (if above 38°C please consult your dentist),
- Secondary bleeding: the bleeding should stop within 30-60 minutes if you bite down on a swab or clean handkerchief (compress the bleeding site). If the bleeding does not stop within this time, you should consult your dentist.
By using Bio-Oss® your dentist is employing the most investigated bone substitute. Since 1985 it has been extensively scientifically tested. Worldwide, more than 1,000,000 patients have been successfully treated to date with Bio-Oss®.